Tehran Municipality, District 2 is one of 22 important districts of Tehran Municipality, which is located in Northeast of Azadi Sq. It stretches from West to Northwest and Azadi St. to South, to AshrafiEsfahani Highway and Mohamamd Ali Jenah to West, and Chamran Highway to East. Today, it is mainly a residential area with social-cultural, economic, touristic, and research-scientific potentials. The district covers an area of over 64 km2. The population is believed to be 650 thousand residents according to 2011 Iranian Census. It has 9 regions.
In terms of social and cultural potentials, the district is highlighted with 1081 martyr families, 666 individuals who dedicated their life and time in the war, and almost 200 scientific, artistic, and athletic figures. The literacy rate of District 2 is 92%. The district is one of the most important districts of Tehran as a result of the accumulation of economic and touristic managers, industrialists, and educators; passage of Tehran's 29 main arteries, 4 BRT lines, 5 metro stations, and 5 bus lanes; vast arid lands and green space; major educational and administrative centers, and landscapes including Evin, Darakeh, Farahzad valleys; a diverse range of parks and national forest parks. Such functionalities have made the district a uniquely social, cultural, economic, and touristic region in Tehran.
1. Geographical Location
District 2 stretches from Alborz Mountain in North (between Darakeh River and Farahzad Neighborhood), Azadi St. to South (between Azadi Sq. and Towhid Sq.), Chamran Highway to East, AshrafiIsfahani St. and Mohamamd Ali Jenah Highway to West.
2. Area (km2)
Without suburbs: 49.3
With suburbs: 65
3. Ranking among 22 Tehran Municipality districts
Concerning the vastness, it ranks 5th after District 4, 22, 21, and 5
2006 Census: 608814
2011 Census: 632917
Estimated for 2016: 640361
5. Population rankingamong 22 Tehran Municipality districts
According to 2006 census, District 2 was ranked 4th after Districts 4, 5, and 15.
According to the estimation of 2016 Census, it ranked 3rd after District 4 and 5.
6. Number of boroughs in District 2: 9
7. Number of Neighborhoods: 27
8. Population density:128 persons per hectare (According to 2011 Census without the consideration of suburbs)
1. High tourism potential due to green spaces and good weather, cross-regional gardens, large shopping centers, and proper access
2. Spatial, climatic, and population diversity in urban models
3. Vast communication infrastructure including more than 100 km highways, overpass and underpass vehicle bridges
4. Important educational, administrative, and university roles
5. Moderate-to-high education
6. High social and cultural potential because of the residence of more than 10811081 martyr families, 666 individuals who dedicated their life and time in the war, and almost 200 scientific, artistic, and athletic figures. The literacy rate of more than 93%, residence among industrialists, lecturers, and educators.